Today, a man alone at the restaurant I work at
我在一家餐厅工作,今天,有一位独身前来的男客
took care of a bill for a party of 17 next to him
为邻桌17个人的聚餐买了账单
that was mostly kids and 5 or 6 adults.
那座客人中大部分都是小孩,只有五六个成年人
He was not in my section
他并没坐在我负责的地区
but I figured I’d help out my coworker
但我还是决定去帮一把负责那个地区的同事
and see if he wanted to pay
去看看他是不是想要买单
since she was very busy.
由于那时她很忙
I asked if he was ready for the bill after his meal
我问那位客人,他是不是筹备结账买单了
and he said "Can you keep a secret?
他对我说,“你能帮我守旧一个秘密吗?
Give me that tables bill
请把那一座的账单也交给我
and don’t tell them until I leave that I paid it
"并且,请在我离开之后再告诉他们,我已经结过账了
I was taken aback
男性的话让我大吃一惊
because I knew their bill had come out to $400+.
由于我了解那一桌的成本高达400多USD
I asked him if he was sure
我问他,你确定要如此吗
and he just asked me to bring it.
他说,你拿来就是了
I brought his bill and the other tables bill
我把两份账单都拿来交给了男性
and he just handed me his credit card
他只不过把信用卡递给了我
without even looking at the bills.
甚至没看一眼账单
He had no clue how big either of the checks were.
对两份账单到底需要什么价格,他一无所知
He ended up leaving a $100 tip on the $400 bill and a $20 tip on his $50 bill.
最后,男性不只支付了400USD的账单,还另付了100USD的小费;对他一个人的那份50USD的账单,他也留下了20USD的小费
Before leaving, he asked me to do him one favor:
离开之前,他请我帮他一个忙
tell the adults at the table
让我转告那一桌的大人
to please teach their kids to do one act of random kindness a day.
请他们教会小孩们,天天都要做一件小小的好事
He walked out
男性说完就走了
and the party was absolutely shocked by what had happened when they later found out.
那桌的一众人随后才了解出了什么事,他们都震撼不已
Made my entire week.
一整个星期以来,想到这件事,都让我感到幸福